Jake Gyllenhaal’s intense and captivating performance in “Prisoners” was accentuated by his gritty, rugged appearance, particularly his memorable haircut. The style added depth to his character and resonated with fans, prompting many to want a similar look. If you’re one of those fans or simply admire the hairstyle, here’s how you can achieve Jake Gyllenhaal’s “Prisoners” haircut.
1. Understand the Style
Before you take a pair of scissors or visit a barber, it’s essential to understand the style. In “Prisoners,” Jake Gyllenhaal sported a slightly unkempt, medium-length haircut. It’s textured, with a bit of a tousled look, and works best for those with thicker hair, although it can be adapted for various hair types.
2. Find the Right Barber or Stylist
It’s crucial to work with a professional who understands what you’re aiming for. When booking an appointment, mention that you’re looking to replicate Jake Gyllenhaal’s haircut from “Prisoners”. Some stylists might be familiar with the look, while others might need a visual reference.
3. Bring a Picture
A picture is worth a thousand words. Bring a clear photo or two of Jake Gyllenhaal from “Prisoners” to show your barber or stylist. This will ensure that there’s no confusion about what you’re aiming for.
4. Hair Length and Texture
- Length: The sides and back of the hair should be kept at a medium length, with the top slightly longer. This will allow for the messy and textured style that characterizes the look.
- Texture: The key to this haircut is the texture. Ask your barber to use a point-cutting technique. This method involves cutting into the ends of the hair to create texture and remove bulk, without drastically reducing the hair’s length.
5. Styling the Cut
- Product: For styling, opt for a matte-finish hair product, like a clay or a matte pomade. This will give your hair a natural appearance, without excessive shine.
- Technique: Start by towel-drying your hair after washing it. Apply a dime-sized amount of your chosen product to your hands, warming it up by rubbing your palms together. Work the product into your hair, starting at the back and moving to the front, making sure it’s evenly distributed. Use your fingers to shape your hair, pulling some areas up for volume and tousling others for that rugged, unkempt look.
Like any other hairstyle, Jake Gyllenhaal’s “Prisoners” haircut requires maintenance. Schedule regular trims every 6-8 weeks to maintain the length and shape. Wash and condition your hair as usual, but remember that the style thrives a bit on the natural oils, so avoid over-washing.
The “Prisoners” haircut sported by Jake Gyllenhaal is a unique blend of ruggedness and sophistication, making it an appealing choice for those looking to strike a balance between the two. Whether you’re a fan of the movie or just looking for a fresh, textured look, following these steps will ensure you capture the essence of this memorable style.